2/24/12

In Search Of Beavers

About a month ago, I went for a spontaneous stroll next to the Kokosing River and started to notice something odd going on with the saplings.

chew


A brief search revealed more evidence...

snack
... so Husband and I went on an epic trek last weekend in search of a beaver dam.  We found felled trees on both sides of the river...

stumps

chewed up

...even trails that logs had evidently been dragged down but my amateur tracking skills weren't up to par. Those dam elusive beavers...


At first I thought this might be some kind of beaver something...
lodge?
...but then last time i went to check it had been mostly washed away in the river. I'm assuming that since beavers need air, at least a portion of the lodge will be above the water. What's left of this was mostly underwater.


You'd think a lodge would be easy to spot.  Those beavers must have one hell of a stomping ground.  It was either invisible or out of our walking range and we covered a pretty sizable stretch of that river.

On our trek we found several critter holes, deer tracks, raccoon tracks, possibly fox tracks, and even a mostly bare, mostly complete deer skeleton whose photos mysteriously disappeared off my camera.

Well, it's beaver breeding season...maybe I'll find them another day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...